Wednesday 3 July 2013

Hello World :)

Every day I get out and about with Rocky my rescue dog. He's a 2 year old German Shepherd Dog and we've had him for a few months now. This dog is a high energy dog and if we don't exercise him enough every day then things get broken ... I suspect that's why he was given up.

He's got a great personality and is a great example of the breed when it comes to loyalty and working. He just needs a lot of exercise, which is to be expected from a dog bred for field work!!

Not owning a farm or a massive outdoor run to expel this energy I taught him to love bike rides. At first he was terrified of the bike, even growling at me when I got on it. I've no idea if there was a trigger from the past but it took a few days of just feeding him treats while I was on the bike to win him over.

A minimum outing is 3 miles and in a day I have pushed this to 10 miles in total. But the weather, having to do all the other bits in life and not over working him puts a limit on the distances.

I get a LOT of smiles from children and adults while biking Rocky and people feel compelled to talk to us compared to crossing the road if we're walking (yes, people see a GSD and just get scared, it's sad but true). When they see a GSD trotting beside a bike they smile (unless they're up to no good and assume he's a police dog - strange how the mind works)!

Well, that's my opening post, I'm going to try and film our bike ride journeys and those who want to follow our adventures can do so. If this doesn't interest you then thanks for visiting anyway :) Oh and if you're thinking of bike riding your dog too ... expect the odd tumble (squirrels and rabbits will trigger the hunter mindset when already going at speed) and avoid traffic AND CATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment